Want to see a few pictures from the American Dance evening? Look here: http://amcorners.ru/news/news2027/ac147/

Also, check out the right hand side of the page for a few pictures. :)

Monday, November 7, 2011

Operation: MOSCOW – Moscow Transit

Entry 22: 7 October, 2011


There are many ways to get around Moscow. One can go by foot, by bus, by trolleybus, by train, by electric train, by metro, and by car. With the exception of a bus, I utilized all of these forms of transportation this weekend and nearly all of them on Saturday alone. My favorite form of transportation in Moscow is, of course, the metro. Every station is different and many of the stations are quite elaborate with marble columns and chandeliers. The Moscow Metro opened 15 May, 1935, and today there are 12 different lines with a total of 187.2 miles of rail, 182 stations, and between 6.5 to 9 million people ride the metro per day. I think I know the secret to how Muscovite women stay so thin. They wear heels and run around the metro. When everyone is sitting or standing on the metro they tend to have blank faces and everyone seems very calm, or at least blank. As the metro starts to slow down, people get up to stand by the doors. Then the doors open, opening the metaphorical floodgates of insanity. Once those doors open you would think there was a hell hound on the metro car that everyone was trying to get away from. Everyone's darting and running and pushing. It's crazy. I must add that Nastya is an excellent metro darter. It's still difficult for me to adopt the “every man for himself” mentality when it comes to mass transit.

The trolleybus in Moscow differs from those in Nizhny Novgorod in that you have to have a trolleybus pass to get through a turnstile on the trolley.
While traveling on the train to Moscow, Katya started making a list of the things that I should make sure to do before I leave Russia. One of the things she mentioned was to ride the Elektrika, the electric train. The train itself is nothing special. Benches face each other so that you could sit comfortably with a group of 4 together. The experience of the electrika does not begin right away when you get on the train. All of a sudden, a woman seemingly appeared out of no where and began holding up small make up bags, mirrors, and other small vanity items, listing off the prices of each. After she did this, she began walking through the cabin. As soon as she reached the end, there was an announcement from the other end of the wagon behind me. A guitar began and four Russian men began singing a song. I wish I could have captured that moment for you somehow. There I sat, looking out the window as industrial centers gave way to beautiful Russian countryside to an acoustic guitar, a traditional Russian song, and the percussion of the train upon the tracks. I felt like it was one of those glimpses into the Russian душа (soul). Unfortunately the moment was broken as then next individual began to hawk his wares.

If I ever found myself living in Moscow I do not think I would be able to drive there. I wouldn't mind someone else driving, but I think the stress would kill me. Everyone drives like they own the road, and there are fewer rules about how to drive, or at least there are fewer followed. Anyone who can drive successfully and safely in Moscow has my immediate respect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment