Want to see a few pictures from the American Dance evening? Look here: http://amcorners.ru/news/news2027/ac147/

Also, check out the right hand side of the page for a few pictures. :)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cellphone in hand


Entry 4: September 14. 2011

            If you were reading my last posts and noticed that the dates seemed incongruent it was probably because I wrote them correctly, then realized that I had gained a day somewhere and changed them all ahead a day only to realize that they were correct the first time. If you are thinking to yourself, Goodness gracious, Christiana, I feel confused, I am sorry to say that I have little sympathy. For while you may be temporarily confused and even go so far as to give a good ho-hum about it, you are not struggling to stay awake past 8pm in the evening, and your body, even if you are able to stay awake past 10pm, does not shoot you awake at 3:30 in the morning. Long story short, the jet lag battle goes on, and the faux retreat on the part of the jet lag forces was a trap which I, shamefully, fell for. The jet lag general is laughing at me as I write this. So what is it, you wonder, that I do between my waking and my going to LUNN? I read. Four days, six books and counting. Thank you, Amazon Kindle. I've tried to convince myself to do something productive like work on my grammar course or write to you, dear html page floating in cyberspace, however, though my body is resiliently awake, my mind is not ready for that sort of activity yet. Therefore, I read because I am....awake.
            Before you wag your finger at me for being so irresponsible, let me tell you that I have been no slacker in working on my grammar course. I went through 70 some odd pages of instruction and exercises on Monday and Tuesday alone in the American Center. I knew that the first week or two would consist of little things for me to do here and there in the American Center while I meet people and they decided specifically what and when they would like me to do certain activities. Therefore, every day so far I faithfully have brought anyway from one to three books of Russian grammar and exercises and a notebook with me. Today, however, I was a little grammared out. Fortunately, I had other activities to work on.
            Thus far it has been arranged for me to speak in three different class in the next three weeks. On Friday, I'm speaking in on of Ludmila's classes. We were speaking on Tuesday, and she said she'd love for me to come to one of her classes, but they were mostly for tourism majors. I mentioned I had worked in tourism for two summers at home, and she was thrilled. Friday morning at 10 am, I'll be talking about my knowledge of the American tourism industry. It's funny how you are able to use experiences of your life in other settings that seem completely unrelated.
            Next Wednesday I will be speaking in a class about interviews. I've prepared a small spiel about typical interview processes in America, and I believe that it will be a sort of open discussion where students are free to ask me any questions they wish. Then, on the following Wednesday, I'm talking at a lecture/forum/class (I don't remember what exactly it is...but I'll be there) about issues in large cities and how they are dealt with or not dealt with. Some of the major issues include homelessness, poverty, pollution, crime, drugs, etc. I am also going to be a sort of guest of honor at a teachers gathering. I was told that they always try to have a treat for the teachers at gatherings, and this time around the treat is me. I don't have a date or details on that yet, but I'm sure it'll be fun.
            When I heard about how some of the past internships went for those who came to LUNN, I will have to admit I was a little hesitant about what it was going to be like coming here. However, it was very quickly clear to me that any student who came here and didn't love the company of the staff must have had personal reservations about something unrelated. All those I have met so far have been friendly, welcoming, energetic, and really enthusiastic about engaging their students in learning. Всё просто замечательно – Everything is simply wonderful.
            Ludmila and I also went and looked at the course schedule for the Russian department. She asked me what sort of courses I would be interested in and I said I would be interested in Russian classes, English classes (to observe how English is taught here as a foreign language), and any sort of linguistic course. The week's schedule is posted in cabinets on the floor above the American Center. The length of study at LUNN is five years, so there are five different schedules. It tells which lectures are when, who teaches them, and where they are. I'm not quite sure how it all works as there are multiple things happening at once. There are numbers across the top though, so maybe that delineates the various cohorts. If you want to look at the schedule, be ready to be surrounded and crowded with students. It's a little crazy. There is a first year English class I will be sitting in on, and the five other courses that I was interested in are as follows:

1)      Russian dialectology: Yes, I had to contain a dance of happiness when I read that on. Ludmila said she hadn't ever seen that course before, so she didn't really know what specifically it would be about, but, naturally, it sounds mesmerizing.
2)      Theoretical phonetics: Again, I shouldn't have to explain my excitement. I'm not sure if this is phonetics in general or specific to Russia....but I don't particularly care.
3)      Historical grammar of the Russian language: Obviously, LUNN knew I was coming. A class on old Russian grammar? Basically the history of the language's grammar? Yes, yes, I am holding back the tears of joy.
4)      Russian literature of the third quarter of the 19th century: Can you ever really get enough 19th century literature? I submit that you cannot!
5)      The Methodology of Teaching Russian as a Foreign Language: Just as I'm interested in how English is taught here as a foreign language, I'm interested in the philosophies behind the Russian methodology of teaching Russian.

            Theoretical phonetics and Historical Grammar of the Russian language are, unfortunately, held simultaneously. As you can understand, I'm quite torn. And if you can't understand at least, for my sake, attempt something more than apathy. It's really a tragedy.

            Today (Wednesday) I brought in some  American candy for Nadya and Yuliya, the girls my age-ish who work in the American Center. They gave me some Russian candy the other day, so I thought to return the favor. I also brought in my photo album, as I told Ludmila I would. We discovered that they didn't realize that I was from Alaska, and apparently it's Ludmila's dream to go to Alaska. It's also the department heads most favorite state. The picture behind the American Center desk is actually a large print of none other than Glacier Bay National Park. What a crazy small world. Thus, on Friday, I will be talking about Princess and Holland America in Alaska. I really should start getting a commission from the companies for all of the advertising I do for them. I'd even just settle for a free cruise or two. :)
            When we got to a picture of my family dancing out at one of our extended family gettaways last summer, they all asked what was going on, and they were excited when I said I teach folk dancing sometime. It is very, very possible that I will be teaching a few of my favorites someone soon, and possibly more than once. They requested no Russian dances though. Troika may be fun at home, but I guess it's a little old hat here. I also had a picture of grandma and I sitting at her piano. Ludmila also seemed happy that I played piano. I don't her that I didn't play well, and she said that wasn't important. Lizzy Bennett's statement “I am no affected by false modesty when I said I played poorly,” sprung to mind, but I kept my Jane Austen in check.
            I managed to catch James online this morning, and that was a real treat. I nearly retracted all of the disgruntled feelings I have had in the past when it comes to facebook chat. Going cold turkey when it comes to communication with a significant other is significantly somewhat smaller than satisfactory. I also talked to Lizzy and Ella. So if you have an inkling to say hello and receive an instantaneous answer, it may some days be possible on facebook chat between 10-11pm Alaska time.
            Another grand accomplishment of the day was getting a Russian sim card. YAY! Some form of communication is now in my possession. Veronika, one of the two girls who helped me the other day, came with me again. We are probably going to go see a movie together next week. Ironically we will probably be seeing an American film, but with Russian dubbing. I'll get to see how American humor will translate for the Russian audience...if I can understand it myself in Russian. Veronika is learning to be a tour guide, and I gave her full permission to use me as her guinea pig around Nizhny.
            I also mentioned to Veronika that I find it interesting that LUNN focuses on American English. I said that I much preferred the sound of British English, but Veronika said that they started with British English in school which, in her opinion, was horrible. She said the pronunciation was no fun. She remarked that in Russian you can just mumble everything you say, but English is more energetic. You have to open your mouth to speak it. Needless to say, I spent some time alone in my room mumbling in each language and have concluded that it is indeed easier to mumble in Russian than in English.

            A few observations I've had on things here. I went to get some yogurt and bread from the store this morning, and had to walk around some parked cars. Oh, and did I mention they were parked on the sidewalk? I had walked a bit past them before I realized that hadn't struck me as odd or unusual, but that would probably be strange to someone who hadn't been to Russia before. Also, America may think that Audry Hepburn gave our country the monopoly on skinny jeans, but we are mistaken. I haven't seen one girl here in even a straight legged jean yet. Ludmila told me today that I dress very Russian from looking at my photo album. Red shoes. They go a long way.
           
            I was hoping to try to fix my internet problem today by calling the provider for the dorm, but it seems that everything is down right now. Therefore, I'll check it later and try again tomorrow. I am a bit frightened by the idea of putting in an ISP helpdesk call in Russian, as goodness knows that they are difficult enough in English. Prayer would be appreciated. I'd sure love to be able to see a few familiar faces back home over the next 10 weeks.

            Well, I guess that's all for now. Halfway through week one.

2 comments:

  1. you are too funny christiana! i miss you! hope you are having a good time in russia <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christiana, I laughed out loud several times... thanks for writing such a journal!

    ReplyDelete